Spiced Cashew Date Energy Bites (Whole30 Friendly!)
You know how some days you just NEED to eat sweets all day long? Today was one of those days. Since I'm still on Whole 30 (Day 19 - more than half way through!), real sugar or chocolate is out of the question - which is a good thing because a sugar binge can go downhill real fast. So instead I made these delicious energy bites, which totally satiated by sweet tooth without eating sugar or giving up my Whole 30.
I made these with the ingredients that I had on hand and these seriously taste like little spiced cookie bites. The aromatic spices used here, cinnamon, cardamom, and turmeric, are so fragrant and complementary, and have additional health benefits like reducing sugar cravings (cinnamon) and serving as an anti-inflammatory (turmeric). I also added in some Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for a protein boost to balance out the natural sugar from the dates (#gainz). These make perfect pre-workout bites so I plan to sneak a couple more before my CrossFit class this evening.
Make sure to pulse the ingredients really well together before forming into balls. It will seem crumbly at first, but once you start rolling them in your hands, it will come together quite quickly. These also keep really well in the fridge so make a big batch to keep on hand for future sugar cravings!
spiced cashew date energy bites
servings: 12-14 bites
time: 10 mins
- 1 cup cashews
- 7 medjool dates
- 1T coconut oil, melted
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (optional)
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4t turmeric
- 1/8t cardamom
- pinch of sea salt
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the cashews and dates and pulse until crumbs form
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until finely ground and mixture resembles coarse sand
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out the mixture and roll into balls (approximately 1.5 inches)
- Refrigerate for 15-20 mins and enjoy! Keeps refrigerated for up to 2 weeks