Turmeric Bone Broth Quinoa Salad (gluten-free)
Since going back to a desk job a few weeks ago, meal prep has become a key element to my weekday sanity. Long gone are the days of leisurely opening the fridge midday to cook up whatever ingredients I had on hand. Now it's all about packing up my lunch container full of healthy dishes and digging into my meal at my desk.
Surprisingly, dedicating a few hours on Sunday to meal prep has honestly become one of my favorite times of the week. There is nothing I love more than being productive and prepared, and the feeling of accomplishment once my meal prep is complete is the ultimate satisfaction (this is adult life goals, my friends). Besides, bulk washing and cutting veggies is so efficient and there is no greater feeling than having your fridge fully stocked with ready to eat food. Seriously, meal prep is now a critical component to my happiness.
One of my favorite meal prep dishes is this gorgeous Turmeric Bone Broth Quinoa Salad. The quinoa is cooked in turmeric and Vital Protein's Bone Broth Collagen, which imparts a beautiful golden hue and health benefits to the quinoa. The turmeric, one of my all time favorite spices, is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. The bone broth collagen is an amazing collagen powder that has extracted all the goodness from bone broth into a convenient powder form (and nope, not sponsored - I just really love it!). The bone broth collagen not only adds depth of flavor, but also provides nourishing collagen and amino acids, which help to heal the gut and promotes hair, skin, and nail health. No worries if you don't have this collagen powder though, you can easily swap this out by cooking the quinoa up in bone broth or just omitting all together.
This flavorful quinoa is tossed with a variety of colorful vegetables, toasted almonds for nutty crunch, and dried cranberries of a little sweetness and chew. Finally, lemon and cilantro brighten up the salad and tie the flavors together.
This magical combination has been a part of my lunch and dinner every day for several weeks now and I am still loving every bite. This dish is also easily customizable by using whatever vegetables and herbs you have on hand. It's not just perfect for meal prep through the week, but also for summer barbecues and dinner parties. I hope you get a chance to make this healthy and delicious dish!
turmeric bone broth quinoa salad (gluten-free)
Time: 30 mins
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 scoops Vital Proteins Chicken Bone Broth Collagen (sub: add 1 cup of bone broth and reduce water to 1 cup or omit all together)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed sweet corn
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse quinoa and place in a medium sized pot with water. Add bone broth collagen, turmeric, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes until cooked and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add to a medium bowl. Fold in bell pepper, red onion, corn, cranberries, almonds, and cilantro. Add in the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and fold together until combined. Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Enjoy!